Friday 18 September 2009

Backstreet Boys (4) vs. George, Guilty Pleasures, Final Four




EW’s Music Mix is searching for the Greatest Guilty Pleasure Musical Act of All Time. With four seeded contestants remaining (see all the matchups), this tournament is continuing to change hearts, minds, and lives, as well as make some people noteworthy agitated! Read/listen to the following, and then cast your vote in the poll after the jump; reader comments will be used from here on out, so we encourage you to also post a comment explaining why you chose the way you did. Note: In case of a tie, please select the artist you feel more ashamed to adore. It was a true clash of the titans, but Backstreet edged out Britney Spears to claim the ’90s teen pop crown.
“I don’t need to exaggerate here, but this is like Sophie’s Choice.” et
“BSB still makes my voice jump two octaves when I hear them sing (especially a capella), even though nobody likes to admit to teenying out… I do. All it takes is those voices and a Carter smirk, and I’m there. damn. So they get my vote.” Anna
“The Backstreet Boys truly are larger than life they represent an entire area to anyone who was a tween/teen in the nineties, girls and boys. Put them on in a room full of nineties kids and in about 10 seconds everyone, EVERYONE will be singing along.” kaitlin
“Now here comes the important question, why do I feel more shamed for a liking the Backstreet Boys? My guilt is not self generated but rather pushed on me by society. We live in a world where it is perfectly acceptable to like a female singer for the size of her breast and not the sound of her voice. However when a male singers is appreciated for their appearance in addition to their talent, there considered less of an artists. In addition, it is okay for men to like someone for only aesthetic reasons, but not for women. This is an unfortunate double standard. If I admit I like the backstreet boys to a coworker, they see at me like I crazy and think I want to grow up. If someone admits they like Britney spears, everyone assume it is because she looks nice in her panties or that they enjoy a watching train wreck. PS. Does this match up remind anyone else of his or her TRL days?” Ms. Car

No comments: