Thursday 13 August 2009

Experiment of John Legend to continues




MONTREAL -- I reached American neo-soul singer John Legend by phone on Friday, June 26, the day after Michael Jackson's death. So it was difficult to deflect starting our advisement with the topic du jour.
"It's a surreal moment," said Legend, real name John Stephens. "It's a sad moment. It makes you reflect on all the great music he's made, how effectual he was in my life, and to so many other people . . . He was the quintessential pop star.
"Some of his music is some of my favourite music of all time I truly always acknowledge his music."
While Legend may not have taken straight cues from Jackson's music or aureate stage persona, he has been expanding his sound over the course of his three solo albums, as understanded by the title of last year's Evolver.
The album opens with the electro influenced "Green Light," featuring OutKast's Andre 3000 dropping whimsical come on rhymes while Legend purr over an uptempo club beat.
"I decided to go in more of an electronic direction," he said of the song. "It prompted me of an '80s jam by George Michael or Prince . . . Andre took it to a whole other level because of his energy, wit and all that."
Elsewhere on the album, Legend dabbles in hip-hop (with pal Kanye West), reggae (with British protege Estelle) and his trademark swooning piano balladry.
Though his specialty is the soulful torch song, the 30 year old singer has always made a point of bringing other things to the table.
"I always felt I was more than the stereotype of me," he said. "'Green Light' was so successful as a single, it highlighted that difference. My albums are all pretty well ) 'Ordinary People.' That came to define the larger public's perception of who I was."
Legend's Grammy-winning 2004 debut Get Lifted also featured more hip-hop-oriented material, including the songs "Number One" (featuring Kanye West) and "I Can Change" (featuring Snoop Dogg). The album ended up selling a whopping three million copies, making him a household name in the expantion.
But he hardly had come out of nowhere. Legend had been a songwriter, pianist and guest vocalist on the R&B/hip-hop circuit for years, playing piano on Lauryn Hill's 1999 smash "Everything Is Everything," and appearing on songs by Jay-Z and Alicia Keys, among others.
His big break came when his old college roommate Devo Springsteen introduced him to his cousin West in 2001. Get Lifted was released on West's Good Music label.
"I met him in Harlem at a performance I had done at Jimmy's Uptown," Legend said. "(Springsteen) thought we would work well together. He was right. We met before either of us was famous, and helped each other. When he airfare up, he helped me get a record deal."
"He's a genius. He's one of the most impressive creative minds I've ever worked with. I think he's been one of the most influential artists in our generation."
Legend has been fostering some young talent of his own, signing British R&B/reggae/hip-hop singer Estelle to his Homeschool label and recruiting West to act on the hit (and again, Grammy-winning) single "American Boy," produced by Will.i.am.
"I just felt like she deserved to be a star," Legend said. "As a fan, I wanted to hear more music from her, the right music that I as a fan would accept. So I signed her to my label, I helped make her last album and we're working on the next one."
He is also working on the appearance album of his younger brother Vaughn Anthony, who is opening for him on his current tour.
"He's an R&B artist with a voice similar to mine," he said, "but with his own style, which is a bit harder(-edged)."
Though he started playing piano at age four, it's in his singing and songwriting that Legend takes the most pride, and rightly so. He has a knack for making engaging music.
Even as he indulges in heartstring tugging soul songs, a sense of humour runs through his lyrics. "Number One," from his debut, featured the uproariously unapologetic line, "You can't say I don't love you / Just because I cheat on you."
"I'm always trying to tell a good story," Legend said, "in a way that's relatable and that people can connect with. I want it to feel clever and unique, and also universal and familiar. I'm trying to find the right balance. I know it when I hear it."

No comments: